Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Burning Man or Bust

The world seems to be becoming so homogeneous. One of the inevitable side-effect of globalization is that cultures tend to become more and more like each other. I've even seen the homogenization of of New York where I was born as well as my new hometown of Washington DC. That which makes us unique is evaporating and I mourn its passing.

That's why I jump at any opportunity to experience cultural or geographical uniqueness before it is gone. One such event that I've wanted to attend for quite a while, but have not yet had the chance is Burning Man. It's always seemed such a daunting event to participate in, but I think I am ready to do it.

It takes place on the weekend before Labor Day. Scheduling is going to be a little challenging though since it happens just after GNI, to which I am definitely going, and during the same period as Southern Decadence. I've also never been to Decadence, but obviously I wouldn't be able to do both Decadence and BM in the same year.

Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations or stories on BM, I'd love to hear them. I also wouldn't mind meeting up to go since the BF has made it quite clear that being in an empty desert for a week is definitely not up his alley.

No comments: