Saturday, October 11, 2008

Fear

Politically I tend to be centrist. I fundamentally do not believe that Government is good at solving problems. Now I have nothing against governments per se, but I have a lifetime of history watching the ineffectiveness and bureaucracy of large organizations. The US Government just happens to be the largest bureaucracy in the history of the planet.

The problem is, as an organization grows it becomes less obvious how an individual worker/participant's actions contributes to the organization's objectives. It also becomes less obvious how achieving the organization's objectives benefit the individual participant. For example, if you are the only sales person for a company, you understand exactly how your poor performance will kill the company. However, if you are part of a 1000-person sales team, the effects of slacking off a little appear diluted, even if the collective slacking off of the whole team would harm the company just the same.

I say all of this because as much as I want the Democrats to CRUSH the Republicans this election cycle, there is a little, soft voice in the back of my head that reminds me that I should fear whenever any party gains full control of Government. So... is it possible to both crush the Republicans but keep just enough around the keep the Dems honest?

No comments: