Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Guy-liner

Last night I watched a tivo'd recording Adam Lambert singing Born to be Wild on American Idol. For the record, I really try to avoid Idol, but the BF likes it.

His performance was really good. He looked natural and is obviously a natural entertainer. Now, the eyeliner was really obvious. Inspite of my previously, highly conservative nature, I've always liked it when others really put themselves out there and dared to be different. Perhaps that was my way of living more freely through them. Of course now I don't have such reservations.

Well, I came across this article today which was linked to from Google News. I'm guessing all of the comments are by teenage girls, but still it got me thinking.

So what if he wears eyeliner for a performance? So what if he wears it everyday? So what if he wears it and he's gay? Or straight? And who made up the rule that only girls wear eyeliner and when did this rule become cultural gospel?

I think all of this is silliness and is yet another example of how we invent completely artificial and arbitrary rules solely for the purpose of marginalizing and ridiculing any who transgress.

Well I think he looks cute and I don't subscribe to this. And even if he wasn't cute... I still think he should do as he wishes and it wouldn't bother me one bit. Hell... he could've done the show naked for all I care!

2 comments:

Ian said...

Vince, you made good points. I've argued myself that Adam is weird, but I was just being judgmental. Thank you for this post bro.

DN said...

Adam is a hugely talented singer. And his guy-liner or nail polish are not just for effect. They define who he is, I think. There are pics of him in full drag or kissing his boyfriend everyone online and I think he is comfortable with himself and doesn't deny any of it. I personally like him not only for his music, but also for the fact that he enjoys being himself and that is so very obvious on stage.