Monday, December 29, 2008

The Ugly Truth About Sex

I came across this article today about how teenagers who take a pledge not to have sex before marriage engage in sex at the same rate as those that don't take such a pledge. This is not a new study, but rather a re-interpretation of a study done within the past couple of years that I can still remember reading about. If I remember correctly, the original study did say that pledged teenagers engaged in sex only slightly less. For context, understand that my fundamentalist upbringing makes be believe that many such pledges occur within a religious context.



But there is a hidden story here. What this tells me is that teenagers desire to abstain from sex will have little impact on their actual ability to have sex. It means that evolutionary-developed drive to copulate is stronger than the will of most.

No comments: