Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Burning Man Update

RECAP: In January I started communicating with 3 other, local nudists about going to Burning Man together. One dropped out because he decided that we would go to Italy instead. After repeated attempts to get together for a first meet over the course of 2.5 months, another dropped out leaving just me and J.

In early March a guy from San Fran contact me through my blog (hey babe) and we discussed the possibility of getting a group of 3 or 4 to go in an RV. R said that he had gone once before and that the only way he'd do it again would be in an RV. He subsequently found another SF guys who was also interested and with J added into the mix, that made 4 of us. Perfect! I did some initial investigations into getting an RV and called around to all of the burner-friendly rental companies since I had read real horror stories about the other companies. The long and short of it was that it would cost about $1,100 per person (gas included), which was about what I had expected. After I shared the rental details, only D responded so nothing really happened since then and the burner friendly rental companies were already starting to sell out.

Serendipitously the BF ran into two guys visiting from Reno at the last naked cocktails event. J and S are avid burners. He immediately brought me over and introduced me to them. J and S told that about the registered theme camp that they were members of. I had already spoken to 4 other, predominately gay theme camps, but their camp struck me as exactly the kind of camp that I wanted to be a part of. The BF and I took them to a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown. Interestingly enough we never did discuss Burning Man at dinner but rather discussed a very diverse set of topics.

After our meeting I looked up their theme camp and sent an email to the camp coordinators. Although they were very welcoming, the told me that they normally take on new members in July when they get there space from the Burning Man organization and have a better idea for how many existing members will be returning. I was overjoyed when the contacted me back to let me know that they had decided to admit me immediately at their last meeting. Woohoo!

So why go with a camp?
  • I feel like I should definitely go with someone so that if I go missing at least someone knows I once existed. Just seems like a personal safety thing to me especially since it is my first time.
  • Depending on a 50-person theme camp is way more reliable than depending on a single or even three individuals. I don't have to worry about anyone backing out. I don't have to worry about being stuck with plane tickets, RV, etc should the people that were going to split the cost with me suddenly not be able to make it.
  • There some camp amenities such as a shared kitchen including utensils, pots and pans.
  • There's a built-in concept of home base and plenty of people to spend time with.
  • There's even a food group that shares meals. I've seen the menu and they eat quite well (I. This means I won't have to pack food. When I was planning to bring my food it was going to be very austere since I didn't want to worry about clean up and wasn't going to bring a stove or any method of refrigeration.
All in all, my joining their camp has allowed me to begin taking the next steps in my planning such as truly finalizing my packing list and the acquisition of the things that I will be needing. Also, J and S have been very kind and even offered to allow me to pre-ship some of my stuff directly to them. They're returning to DC next weekend, which also coincides with the next naked cocktail event. We're planning to see them there and go out to eat afterwards. I shared the camp information with J, the local nudist, so if he really does want to go he's free to join them and me as well.

Purchases I made this weekend:
  • Sleeping bag
  • RV safe toilet paper
  • Tent
  • 2 LED flashlights (although they don't seem to be bright enough)
  • Large and small lanterns
  • Small bike pump, head light (LED) and patch repair kit
  • Battery operated air mattress pump (I already have the air mattress)
  • 4 solar garden lights for the entrance to my tent
  • Flexitol brand heel balm (lots of people really recommended this for protection against playa foot)
  • Small hand mirror
  • Wet wipes
  • Solar shower bag (there might be a shower already set up in the camp, but I'm not sure)
  • Multi-tool (knives, serrated saw, screw drivers, can opener, bottle opener, etc)
  • Camelbak style backpack with pocket for additional stuff
  • Liquid soap (I could have just bought this in Reno, but oh well)
  • Work gloves
Additional arrangements I've made:
  • Purchased Burning Man ticket
  • Reserved car in Reno (including bike rack)
  • Reserved a bicycle from Reno Spark's Kiwanis Bike Program
  • Began monitoring air fares
As it currently stands, I'm planning to fly out of DC as early as possible Monday morning with the hope of arriving sometime around noon. I would then take the rest of the day to buy things that I don't want to bother buying in DC and then having to ship them there. So far the shopping list includes stuff like batteries, water, liquor (off course!), hammer, etc, etc. I would then stay in Reno overnight and start the 2.5 hour trek from Reno to Black Rock City sometime around 5 or 6 am. The goal is to have enough time to arrive, find my camp and set everything up before 11am when things start to get too hot. I had thought about trying to fly out of DC on Sunday, but considering that I won't be getting back from my week at the GNI Naked Gathering until about 3pm, I thought this was way too adventurous. Besides, BM starts on Monday so arriving on Monday would guarantee me the longest lines to get in.

Anyway, if nothing else, you should be able to tell by the length of this post that I am completely STOKED!!!

No comments: