Monday, May 4, 2009

Choose to Be Different

So often we are punished for being different. Punished for being gay, too short, too fat or in some circles perhaps for being too dark. We all live in self-created cocoons to protect ourselves from the world outside. Unfortunately these same protections also isolate us and make us lonelier, and worse.

Why can't we say hi to a stranger? Well, he might think we want something... or maybe that we want sex. Maybe he'll reject us and not say hi back.


But we can choose to be different. We can say "hi" to someone for no other reason than wanting to see them smile.

3 comments:

Ian said...

You know Vince, no truer words have been spoken. I've been going through a "thang" lately because I really picked up some weight in the last few years because of my injuries and I've felt shame and loneliness like you wouldn't believe....

You make a good point. Check out my blog between tonight and tomorrow cause I'm going to do a post on this very same subject.

William said...

Our cities are better when we communicate with even a smile!

nudeindc said...

I'll be looking...