Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Leasons from Dubai

FYI: The photo has nothing to do with this posting nor with nudism. It's just a photo of myself from years past that always surprises me that I was ever that young.

I just read this article about about the rise and fall of Dubai. It reminded me of something that I have observed about our culture.

Have you noticed how we have morphed into a society that is driven by the appearance of happiness rather than happiness itself? I amazed at just how pervasive it is. I too am guilty of this but we must recognize the big lie if we are to move beyond it and pursue true happiness and fulfillment.

Here's an example of what I think is healthy living: (a) we seek happiness and fulfillment, (b) we determine those things in our life that would bring happiness and fulfillment, (c) we strive to do and/or achieve those things, and (d) our efforts perceived by others providing them images of our lives.

But the logic we taught to live by is perversely backwards. What really happens is: (a) we seek happiness, (d) we see images of others that "look" happy and (e) we try to replicate the things we see in those images.

The obvious problem is that we completely miss steps (b) and (c) which are the parts that enrich our lives. Furthermore, in this era of over-commercialization, every successful salesman knows how we make decisions and is barraging us with a constant stream of well endowed-, rich- and happy-looking people for us to emulate. Of course this inevitably means buying their product. It's the big lie and may represent the one of the biggest failings of western culture.

So what do I believe brings happiness? Well of course the details are different for everyone, but common aspects tend to be:

  • We are happy when we are challenged; When not challenged at work, we can create constructive challenges personal lives; If we start feeling really comfortable chances are we're not doing something right

  • We are happy when we engage in active activities

  • We are happy when we learn and do new things

  • We are happy when we have healthy and loving relationships with others such as family, friends, neighbors, partners and even strangers

  • We are happy when we feel that we are doing something useful; This can be at work or volunteering or helping someone or anything else

  • We are happy when we are pursuing what we love (see steps (b) and (c) above)

Don't not believe the lie.

2 comments:

creating my life said...

hi nudeindc, ur observation of what brings happiness is a view most adults. It is a happiness brought about by doing.But that picture of u when u were young which u think is not relevant to the post, to me is very relevant because it shows u very happy without a care in the world.And you did not have to do anything other than just be yourself. So if kids can be happy by being themselves, why cannot adults too? i remember my childhood as being blissfully happy. And most of us if they remember that far back can feel how happy we were then. so might not happiness be not having any cares and not doing anything worthy? the latter seem to imply that happiness can only be gained by effort and doing good deeds. what about happiness from doing bad deeds? (or what seems bad to the other person... someone who had done a fantastic business coup will feel v happy even though the other party is shafted). hope u will allow me to put this point, since u have said u welcome debate. but maybe this is not subject to debate. if your viewpoint works for u and makes u happy, i guess there is no need for debate as each of us find happiness in our own ways.this is ur way and thanks for telling us. I share with u the naked lifestyle , that brings me happiness, though i tend to think that i m happy anyway, and the naked lifestyle is just one expression of it. If i were to not be able to have that lifestyle i wont go into a decline. I will find something else. This applies to whatever i do. But if as u have said, ur happiness relies on doing worthy things, it will be depandant on the good outcome of those things,ie, that u achieve the goals u set. Happiness that depands on things or other people is based on sand. Unless of course u are able to transcend such mishaps, in which case they are not necessary for ur happiness.

nudeindc said...

I welcome your perspective and don't see it as very far from my own. I was very happy before taking my clothes off and believe I will continue to be so if I put them on.

Although there tends to be common themes toward happiness, these are not universal. For this reason, I try not to be prescriptive.

For example, I think for most of us, meaningful human relationships increases our happiness. Nonetheless, that doesn't mean that everyone must have meaningful relationships to be happy. I'm sure there are those that would even be happier living completely alone. I just don't think that's true of most.