Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Look Forward

I had a friend post the following to his facebook page the other day:
If I had a dime for every time I heard someone say to me ... "You're gay!!! Homo!!!!!!" ... Like its some sort of newsflash, I'd be rich. Am I THAT fabulous really? Or are they just stupid idiots with no respect? I think the latter AND the former are both correct.
The friend is a beautiful and sexy, 24 year old black guy. Truth is that I really never had to endure name-calling like this. As a kid I was the typical sports-oriented boy with a secret. Although I never had girlfriends, but somehow no one ever suspected me of being gay. At this point in my life I've reached a point where I really don't care what people say or think too much. I've come to set my own standards based on principles that I think are important such as treating all people with respect and not littering, but I could care less if someone doesn't like the hot pink pants that I'm wearing (for the record I don't own said pants, but if I did...).

But it pains me that my friend, or anyone for that matter, has to ensure this. It pains me that the world could be so cruel. Is it any wonder that so many of us are slightly damaged? Be who you are and never forget that love cannot make you less of a person.

No comments: