Tuesday, November 4, 2008

100,000 In Virginia


Last week, Obama visited Leesburg, Virginia. I was tempted to go but my tennis addiction overcame me. In the end I was disappointeded that I didn't go. I thought that he'd likely be back in the commonwealth and decided to attend any future events prior to election night. As the week wore on, it looked like it was not to be as I had plans for an extended weekend stay in Ft. Lauderdale.

I was very pleased on Sunday to get the announcement that he'd be in Manassas on Monday. How incredible, he'd be there the only day I would be there prior to election day. It was a sign from god, if I believed in that sort of thing.

I wanted to see history in the making. Although I had donated and attended other events, I had not heard him speak in person. I had not participated in the excitement that only a live crowd can deliver. Not to trivialize it, but I figured it is similar to the difference between watching a baseball game on TV and going to a live game. I left my racquets and tennis clothes at home so there'd be no temptation this time.

An white older guy, about 65 y/o or so, befriended me and we stayed together for the whole time. In all, I left the office around 4:30p and didn't get home until about 1:00a. I had no idea that there would be so many people there. I took a full hour just get out of the fair grounds after the speech ended at around 11:30p and another 1 hour to get home.

The excitement was palpable. Other than Obama, speakers included Tim Caine (governor), Mark Warner (ex-governor and running for Senate) and several current and new candidates to the house of representatives. One of the most memorable lines was "change is a-comming" as repeatedly intoned by Gerry Connolly.

Obama was electric and delivered an impassioned speech that reminds us why we were all there. He spoke of the need for personal responsibility and how we are the change that we were waiting for. When was the last time that a democrat said such a thing?

Yes we can and yes we did!

No comments: