Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We Did!


After following this for 2 years, instead of saying "yes we can", we now can say "yes we did"! I attended an election night-nite party tonight with 30 or so gay, naked men to watch the results. Honestly, I didn't expect this kind of result. I have always been proud to be an american, but tonight, I am even more proud. I am not just proud that he won, but much more so on how accurate the polls were. What did this mean? It means that for even people for whom racism is a part of there lives, it means that it is either further down in their list or priorities or that they have no problem stating it outright. For me that is amazing.

As I walked home from the party, I was greeted by cars driving up and down Adams Morgan honking their horns; by (straight) people wanting a hug; by people wanting to high-five and of course, by people screaming. Er.... perhaps I screamed a bit too.

I kept the BF up late to stay and hear Obama's speech. I confess that I didn't hear the whole speech, because I just had to call my parents. Yes... I awoke them, and yet, they didn't mind. Rather, they were elated.

Now, I'm not an emotional person and rarely cry. But today I did. I cried like a little baby. Not just because Barak won, but because of the integrity of the American people. Someone I had met today held me for a long time and just repeated over and over, "I understand." I think they did.

Woohoo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

u r right, it is indeed a historic moment, and americans can be proud of themselves for electing obama. america indeed is a land of opportunity.