Thursday, June 4, 2009

Barcelona Begins

I am writing this from JFK airport en route to Barcelona. Although I've been looking forward to this trip for quite a while, I don't think I quite had the level of anticipation that I thought I would have. Mainly I think was caused by the fact that I had so many other things going on that I think I just never had enough time to let it hit me. Well this past week that all changed and I have REALLY, REALLY been looking forward this.

I've spent the last week trying to attend to all the details. I've made sure everything was covered at work, double checked the apartment reservation, paid the remaining balance for the language school, and researched new places that have opened there since I was there a year and a half ago. I've found a couple of places that look absolutely, positively sleazy, which I definitely will have to check out.

I'm slightly concerned about the size of the apartment (pics). I know its fine for me, but I have 4 people visiting while I'll be there albeit not all at the same time. I told each of them that it was a small efficiency of only 25 meters square with only 1 bed, so hopefully they understand. I re-read the website and the apartment does come with an optional cot, so I'll try to get one if I can.

I planned this trip to take partly alone and partly with the BF (he doesn't need the language training). Once I had the apartment I told some friends of mine that I'll be there, already have the apartment and that they are welcome to come if they'd like to. The fact that they took me up on the offer is kind of a case study on how people really do want to travel if they have the opportunity. There's also a 5th friend from Orlando that we met while in Key West last year who's coming to visit too, however he won't be staying with me because there are already people with me when he'll be there.

I was recently looking at some pictures on flickr of people going nude in Barcelona, and I don't mean just at the beaches. It is actually legal there to be nude in ANY public space. I am so determined to do this. I'd love to just walk down the street in the middle of the day buck naked. I'm not sure how I'll do it though. If I do it while I'm there alone, getting pictures to remember it would be difficult. I could wait until some of my friends arrive an co opt them to do it. Or maybe all of the above.

Saturday morning I woke up and realized that I'll be there during the traditional World Naked Bike Ride. Last year I planned to participate in Washington DC until it turned out to be the World (not so) Naked Bike Ride. But given Barcelona's nudity laws, they tend to have a nice turnout and yes... it's naked! So I've found their website and sent them an email requesting information on how to participate. I already know the date, but not the time and meet up place. I'll also need to find out where I can rent a bike so there are still a few details to take care of before next Saturday.

2 comments:

DN said...

Safe and happy travels. I just know you're going to have so much fun there. And so many new experiences! Do keep blogging and posting pics so we can live vicariously through you. :) Best wishes.

nudeindc said...

Thanks for the send off DN. I got really syched about it at the end and now that I'm here, I am enjoying it as much or more (if that's possible) than the last time I was here.