Monday, February 22, 2010

Burning Man Update

So I've talked about possibly going to Burning Man before here, here and touched upon it here as one of things I would like to accomplish this year.

It started to look a little dismal since this is just not the kind of thing I feel comfortable doing myself. I have no problem being on my own in new places, but the extreme conditions of BM makes me feel much more comfortable if I had a little bit of a support system.

Well just when I was starting to doubt, a fellow member of one of the local, nudist groups posted a message asking if anyone was interested. Of course I replied along with 3 others. One has already dropped out, but the remaining two seem committed. We have yet to meet in person due to the being snowed-out (or in), despite several attempts. Since connecting electronically with my possible future fellow burners, I have been looking into what I would have to do to prepare and as a result am starting to believe that I can make this work even if the group falls apart. The amount of preparation that goes into this thing is enormous, but honestly I believe that even that is part of the experience.

We've electronically discussed several options for shelter including the Green Tortoise. The good part is that they supply food, transportation and lodging. The bad is that it might be a little too structured for me, especially if I decide that it isn't working for me. One of the guys has a 4 man tent, which is my preference. We also briefly mentioned the possibility of renting an RV, but that is both expensive, risky and I've read that many campers don't like being too close to an RV and their noisy generators.

I've also started building a list of things I'd need. It still incomplete, but I figured if I start one, then I'd have someplace to make notes when I come across good ideas. So far the list has over 40 items on it, and I haven't even listed any clothes yet. I figure I won't much clothing anyway, except to ward off the chill during the evenings.

1 comment:

DN said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.