Monday, April 21, 2008

FLDS

Ok, this post will be a little different than most of the posts here, but it is something that I've thought about just a little. Doesn't that make me an expert?


About the Texas Child Protective Services removing all of the FLDS's children and placing them in foster care... I don't like the FLDS and am generally agnostic. I understand (at least intellectually) how traumatising the group's practices are on their youngest members. Nonetheless, the basis for these removal of these children could be said about any religious or even non-religious group of people. We are a nation of laws and this one doesn't pass the smell test. Even if there is a girl within their compound that was beaten, it does not mean that all of the children are being beaten.

I guess that I must confess that I don't believe that government bureaucracies can solve all problems. And one in which that the governments across this land have shown themselves to be exceptionally inept has been CPS organizations. For this reason, I do not believe that governments should be making close judgement calls to remove children from the care of their parents. Rather, I believe that the government should only intervene when there is an extremely care and urgent need to do so.

1 comment:

creating my life said...

hi, i too felt like u about this, but it seems we are a minority.