Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Unreal Tennis

I break tennis strings way too often. I can typically play only 4 times or for about 1 week before breaking a string. My attempts to find an alternative string that feels good over this past year has so far failed miserably... until now.

On Monday, I strung my racket with Luxilon Big Bangers on the mains at 51lbs and Wilson NXTs on the crosses at 54lbs. The feeling has been unreal! I really feel like I can hit the ball as hard as I want and it will stay in no matter what. The only downside is that these strings only lasted for 2 and a half days, most likely because I've been hitting so hard.

BTW, it's not just hitting hard, but being able to do so without sacrificing consistency. On Monday I played Glen who normally plays me about equal and beat him 6-3, 6-0 and 6-2 without having a single break point against me. On Wednesday I played a guy that I usually, but not always, beat and won 6-0. He didn't even get a game point opportunity on his own serve. Tuesday was just as good, but I just practiced so there was no score to report.

After winning the set on Wednesday, the string broke. I switched to another racket strung with TNT-16s and really noticed the difference. It was like someone turned off all of the lights.

I think the Big Bangers might be aggravating my tennis elbow, so I'll be monitoring this closely. I really hope I can continue using them however because after several days it's seeming more and more obvious that it is making a big difference.

No comments: