Saturday, March 15, 2008

How I Got Into Nudism

As my first blog posting, I'll describe how I recently got into nudism/naturism. My nudist birth occurred in November 2007 while visiting Barcelona, Spain.

Prior to my trip, I frequently visited a gay bar in the Washington area that hosts a weekly underwear party. In addition to simply liking to parade around in my skivies, I found that other patrons that chose to participate tended to be more sociable and easy to talk to than is typically encountered in this city. Of course before going to Barcelona, I did my homework on all of the tourist as well as gay things to do there. To my delight I discovered that Barcelona also had a gay bar that had an underwear night. I thought this would be the perfect ice breaker to meet new people in a strange land. I decided that I had to give it a try.

When arrived at the Barcelona bar on that Saturday night, they informed me that I missed the underwear night as it had occurred the day prior. The day arrived was nude night. Of course I was a little disappointed, but decided that since no-one in the city knew me... what the hell, I might as well go in. I loved it! It made me feel nervous and sexy and vulnerable all at the same time. As a footnote, another difference between these bars in Washington and Barcelona is that the Barcelona bar had a lot of sex occurring, but that's material that I'll cover another day.

I was hooked, so I returned the next Saturday as well. After all, after going nude, who needs underwear? On that next Saturday, I met an English speaking guy who mentioned that he too used to live in Washington, DC as recently as just a couple of months prior. He asked me if I had ever attended the nude parties in DC. Since the nude parties take place at the same bar as does the underwear parties, I had heard of them, but always declined whenever invited to participate.

When I returned to DC, I googled for nude gay groups in the area and joined ReNudePride. My BF and I attended a party that they sponsored and again I loved it. The funny thing is, I've always assumed that nudism/naturism implies some deep philosophical belief about something like the environment or the natural state of the human condition. One of my big revelations at the party was that they are just people, and that I am one of them. Yes I care about the environment, but that's not why I take my clothes off. I take my clothes off because it is fun and I enjoy it.

No comments: