Friday, March 28, 2008

Maybe I'm an Exhibitionist

This post is part of my Why I Like to Be Nude series. In my brief couple of months discovering my penchant for nudity, I've read countless of accounts by others of the benefits of social nudity. The Why I Like to Be Nude series is my attempt to discover and document my own reasons.

I think I may be an exhibitionist. You may be thinking... duh, but for me this is truly a revelation. Like I've said previously, I've spent much of my life as a very reserved person. Most people that have met me recently scoff when I say that, but it is wholeheartedly true, and I'm not trying to be modest.

I now find myself somewhat of an attention whore. Yes, I like to be noticed. Is that bad? I'm not sure. Of course I'd rather the attention to be positive, but I am not so moved by the comments of others that I fear what others are thinking or saying too much. These two combined facts have brought me a sense of freedom that allows me to be who I am, or even better yet, who I want to be.

Now, one might wonder if the rush of exhibitionism would lead to indiscreet public nudity. First, I'm not sure that displaying the human body in its natural form should even be labeled as indiscreet. Secondly, although I would love the idea of being nude in public places, even when others may be fully clothed, I have no desire to be arrested so I have no desire to streak.

Being naked only heightens the rush of exhibitionism. At the same time, it attracts attention, and allows me to be who I am (physically at least).

No comments: