Saturday, May 3, 2008

Friday Night at Omega

Well last night the BF and I went out to Omega for drinks. We didn't do too much, but stood around and talked to the people there. There was this french-sounding guy that didn't say much, but caught me walking near the staircase to the downstairs area and pulled me into a nearby alcove. He hugged me and tried to kiss me, but I told him that I had a boyfriend. He kept trying to pull me back into the alcove saying, 'just give me 20 seconds.' He followed me around for the rest of the night.

I also saw someone I previously met elsewhere. He's short, probably around 5'6" tall, black with a nice, slim body and a cute face. The last time I saw him was at the underwear night at the Green Lantern. I remember he was standing with his tall Latino friend and another black guy they had just met. He turned to me and privately asked me to assure him that he wasn't the least attractive of the three. He looked so desperate for acceptance that it was kind of sad. I told him that he wasn't the least attractive, which was true since they each had their pluses and minuses, but were essentially about even.

Well anyway... yesterday, I probably talked to him for a half hour or more. I can't believe how many times he talked about beautiful bodies, faces, etc. Every 5 minutes, he wanted to know if something about him was "good enough". He kept complimenting me on my various features. He also kept talking about others and whether they were physically good enough. Sometimes he would say the most terrible things about himself such as, "who would ever want to date a loser like me." I also remember that he made a very strange comment to me. He said, that his friends think that he isn't attracted to black guys. His point was that his attraction to me is proof otherwise. Then came the strangeness... he said, "I feel that other black guys are competition, so if I date a black guy, he should at least be more attractive than I am." I'm not even going to go into what this says to me, but it is further evidence of a world-view that inherently furthers his self-hate.

To be honest, besides his obsession of physical attractiveness, conversation was actually interesting and enjoyable. However it's hard for me to believe that people actually exist that are that superficial and insecure. I don't mean to say that I don't like him or that I am better than him, because I believe that he is hurting himself far more than anyone else. It must be hard to be happy when you whole world-view is completely wrapped up in your epidermis, skeletal structure and the size of your cock. I have a saying that we're all victims of our culture that I'd love to post about at some point. But this nice, sweet, good-looking guy is more than a victim of our culture, he is a casualty.

No comments: